Monday, January 5, 2009

Kosher Salt

I hope everyone had a great holiday. I know I had fun cooking up new creations. So, let me start off with virus day. One day our computer was slammed with viruses. Luckily we have Norton so it didn't do much. I wanted them off my pc just in case so I brought it up to work and reloaded windows. Well I got home and the Internet wasn't working. So, turns out you need a driver for that. Needless to say I have been offline way to long. I didn't realize how much I use it to look up stuff while I'm cooking.

So, one night I had my parent and Matt's parents over for a Venison Chili. It was my first time cooking venison (deer). Everything was going great. Then Matt says make sure you put enough salt in there. So when it came to that part I read 4 tablespoons Kosher Salt. This is where I usually google it, but with out that I thought must be the same. Plus Matt said make sure there is enough salt. Boy was I wrong. It turns out that Kosher Salt is the salt most chefs use which is half as strong as table salt. It was so bad. What made it worse was that you could tell it would have been fabulous. I tried putting a potato in there to make it better but it was beyond help.

We also had Christmas Eve at our house this year. I finally got to take out the china from our wedding. It was so much fun. The ham turned out amazing. We had mac, potato junk, green bean casserole, and sweet potatoes! I had left overs the entire week. I got one of those iPod Touch. Which is pretty cool b/c there are all these cooking apps you can upload. Let me know if you use any you like.

Happy New Year!

0 comments: