Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chocolate Pie

I had so much fun this weekend prepping for the BBQ. I think it is a calling :) So, I tried out a cream corn, a cherry pie, and a chocolate pie recipe. They were all very yummy. I also added paprika to my potato salad. It really balanced it out. (I went a little over board on salt again.) I added a few more potatoes and mayo to the salad but it was still missing something. So, paprika to the rescue. For the chocolate pie I tried Homesick Texans. Boy was it good. I did cheat and bought the pre-made pie crust. It turned out great. One thing I did learn was with the meringue. When my mom makes it there are always the gorgeous pikes. Mine not so much. I should have mixed it a little longer. I was impressed how the egg could turn into the meringue. It was amazing. I wonder how someone came up with that. The cherry pie was gobbled up so fast. I should have made two. I just used the plain can cherries with sugar. Make sure you drain your cherries well!

Filling ingredients:
4 tablespoons of cocoa or 1 1/2 squares of baking chocolate
3/4 cups of sugar
5 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 egg yolks, beaten slightly
1 tablespoon of butter

Meringue ingredients:
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of sugar

Your favorite pie crust

Method:
Mix your sugar, flour, salt, cocoa, eggs and milk (all except vanilla and butter) with a whisk.
Cook while stirring on medium until it bubbles and thickens, about five to 10 minutes. If it becomes lumpy, just beat out the lumps.
Remove from heat and stir in your vanilla and butter.
Meanwhile, poke holes in your pie crust with a fork and bake it at 350 until it’s brown, about 20 minutes.
Beat your egg whites with salt and when they start to get fluffy add the sugar.
Pour the chocolate custard into the baked pie shell and top with the beaten egg whites.
Add 2 T of sugar for every egg white. Bake it until it the peaks on the meringue are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

1 comments:

MJS said...

Where are you Spicy. I've missed you.