Friday, January 9, 2009

Texas Caviar

It is a growing tradition in my family to eat black eyed peas on New Years Day. Something about prosperity. My mom always said to eat a lot so you have a lot the next year. One of my good friends shared something called texas caviar with me last year. So, I thought it would be fun to make this year. Everyone loved it even people that don't like black eyed peas.

1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
2 C frozen corn kernels, thawed
½ medium onion, chopped
¼ green pepper, chopped
½ C pickled jalapenos, chopped
½ tsp garlic salt
1 C Italian salad dressing

1. Mix beans, peas, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno in a large bowl. Season with garlic salt. Add dressing; toss to coat. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.

*Add a little cilantro for taste.

1 comments:

Sara said...

Yum, I love black eyed peas!