Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sausage Roll

A staple growing up in our house was a sausage roll on Christmas morning. It is one of my all time favorite traditions. My parents would wake up early and start cooking. Just the smell would wake me up. We would run down stairs to see what Santa brought. Then eat while we open presents. After every present was open I would get a few more slices and play with my new toys. In college when I would get home sick I would make a loaf and it would bring me back home. This recipe is great for a crowd.

1 package phillsbury hot roll mix
2 C mozzarella cheese
5 tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded
2 lbs breakfast sausage
1½ tbsp parsley flakes
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
2 eggs, beaten

1. Prepare hot roll mix as directed on package. Stop after rising the dough.
2. Brown sausage in medium size skillet on meduim heat.
3. While sausage is browning, combine other ingredients in large bowl.
4. Divide bread dough into two balls. Roll each ball into a rectangle. Spoon filling mixture onto dough rectangle. Roll up like a jelly roll.
5. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

0 comments: